The Astronomical Society of New Haven (ASNH) is a non-profit organization (501(c)) that participates in public and private outreach events throughout CT. We support educational programs at schools and museums by providing classroom assistance as well as viewing sessions with member scopes. Various private clubs, churches and non-profit organizations ask us to host both private and public viewing parties throughout the year. The society hosts events throughout the year where the public is encouraged to ask questions and enjoy the breathtaking astronomical views and educational experience.
Events start at 7pm from September thru April, and from mid April to August the events start at dusk (sunset) which is much later than 7pm in mid summer. Since it gets dark late in July we don't have any events and don't usually recommend having any.
On the nights we have an event we will be viewing the following (visible object for that time of the year)
The Hercules Cluster
The Pleiades Cluster
The Andromeda Galaxy
The Pinwheel Galaxy
If you are looking to get a scope for yourself, or your children then attending an event when members will have their scopes out will help with that decision.
If you want to have an event with ASNH, there are a few things we both need to know.
- Check our calendar for any date conflicts.
- We do not do birthday parties.
- The events usually last around 3 hours.
- We do not allow anyone other than the owner to handle the scopes.
- No food or drink around the equipment.
- Children must be under control at all times.
- Since white light causes a loss of night vision, please point white flashlights at the ground.
- If you have a red flashlight, you are encouraged to bring it.
- Please keep the white light from smartphones and other electronic devices away from the scopes.
- There is no running or loud horseplay allowed.
- We need at least a 3 month lead time.
- Is the location of the event easy to access with a car? We have heavy equipment and setting up close to the vehicle is a must.
- How many do you expect at the event?
- What is the age range?
If you are interested in having an event,then email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-808-ASNH to make arrangements.
Downloadable Outreach Schedule